Wednesday, December 01, 2004

busy

Sunday I finished building a cabinet I'd been working on for a month, sang in a concert (Brahms' Deutches Requiem), and went to the airport to pick up our guest speaker for work the next day. She tried not to react to my lovely concert attire (complete with pearls) at the terminal, but seemed to be relieved when I explained that formal dress was not my usual mode. I really dislike making mitered edges on crown molding, but I do like singing in German. The consonant combinations are very satisfying to take your time over and then finally spit out. The measuring, remeasuring, and cutting for crown molding also requires time and exacting care, but the voice is more forgiving than alder. Minute adjustments can be made vocally much more easily than in wood. Plus you don't have to worry about the glue drying too quickly.

Mithu is trying out new words and phrase combinations. This morning when I uncovered her cage to say good morning, she remarked, "Twinkle." She also mimicked throat clearing and sneezing (she doesn't really have a cold), and told herself, "Bless you!" Both of these were firsts, and lead me to believe that she is poised to produce additions to her already extensive repetoire.

I tried to twinkle all day. I think it helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment