Tuesday, January 25, 2005

redistribution of wealth

In theory, I think it's a plausible idea. In practice, I think it ought to be voluntary. Maybe if more folks would voluntarily share more of what they have, fewer folks would feel compelled to take what is not theirs, in a feeble attempt to correct the balance. Do I sound like a bitter victim? I hope not, although I ought to at least sound like a non-bitter victim.

Last year, in an attempt at fiscal responsibility, I added up what we had given to charities. It turned out to be close to 20% of the annual household income. Now we're not saints, nor are we stupid. Almost all of this falls into the category "planned giving". We just have a lot of interests, and not many expensive habits. When I think back to when I was on the stewardship committee of a mainstream church, and how much whining I got to hear about the suggestion of a tithe (10% giving), it makes me pretty sure that disassociating myself from that group was a healthy thing to do. The stingies definitely outnumbered the generous. It just makes sense to me to support what you perceive as worthy.

I don't expect recognition or acknowledgement (no wait, I do enjoy seeing my name on a donor list!) What I didn't expect to be was robbed. One of the charming customers of the fine public establishent for which I work felt it was appropriate to liberate my Palm PDA from my reference desk last week. We were busy and distracted with customers and I stupidly left it in view- although not in easy reach. Now I am adrift in time.

That's the true nature of this particular episode. I had entrusted every phone number, every business contact, every appointment, etc. to the device. Now it's gone and I haven't a clue where I am supposed to be or when. Interestingly enough, the thief called my home while I was at work, and offered to return it, but that was Sunday (yes, we are open on Sundays) and this is Tuesday. I'm not holding my breath.

At first it was liberating. A colleague suggested that the thief ought to have to attend every meeting on the calendar, since now they knew when and where to be. I've got a great excuse for not showing up! But now projects are starting to slip, and I can't make the calls I need to make. It's having an impact on my professional life, and I'm bummed! I'm entirely over the seperation from relatively expensive equipment. I am not over the seperation from information that allows me to function usefully.

Rats.

Some situations do not require technology assisted information for full functioning. Ths summer I am taking leave from my day job and going a remote area in the Himalayas to help the women there start a pre-primary school. They want to do this for their children, and I know how, so I am going to get them started. This place is a technology-free zone. I won't need to keep track of phone numbers, email, or multiple appointments. There aren't any there. From what I understand, there isn't much of anything there, except some particularly lovely, joyful people who have a project they'd like assistnace with.

I am in training to make the strenuous trip. It's going pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment