Wednesday, February 02, 2005

An exercise for all to try

Hooray!! We are now officially in the throes of homework phone season at the library. It is almost better than face to face homework help, because you are free to roll you eyes, mute the phone and sigh, and generally wonder about the calibre of today's students and teachers.

This evening's winning transaction:
S: "Do you have information for me about the marine beem?"
M: "The marine ...um...?"
S: "Marine beemo?"
M: "I'm having trouble hearing that second word. (ref-speak for what ???) Can you spell it, please?"
S: "b-i-o-m-e"
M: "Ah! Biome!" "You need to know something about the marine biome!"
S:"Yes, I have a list of things."
M: "Go ahead and ask." (famous last words- right up there with 'hey, y'all,watch this!')
S: "I need the annual rainfall, the types of soil, the growing season, and the types of seasons."
M:"For the marine biome?"
S: (patiently) "Yes."
M: (supressing a deep sigh)"Well, according to Biomes of the World (handy dandy desk reference set), the marine biome is the oceans all over the world."
S: "And?"
M: "Well it will be hard to generalize and this is more than we can do on the phone. Can you come in to a library branch?"
S: "No, just read it to me."
M: "This is too long to read over the phone."
S:"Well, OK, just name some countries then, and I'll pick one of them."
M:(names about 25)
S: "Ok, I'll take Canada. Ontario Canada."
M: "I don't think it is in the marine biome."
S: "That's OK."

I am still trying to figure out what went on. I didn't mention the times I was asked to hold on so that a screaming conversation with someone in the background could be carried on.

I think that everyone should have the opportunity to sit at a desk with nothing but a counter top between you and the general public (ref-speak for every nut case on the block) and have the priviledge of hearing what they feel free to ask. Everyone should have to try to find an answer in a timely fashion, (not wasting the time of the customer.) It would give a new perspective on our fellow man.

1 comment:

  1. i hope stupidity isn't contagious, as i have yet to be vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete